Tinting your lashes is a great way of enhancing your peepers. You don’t need to get it done professionally – it is super easy to tint your lashes at home.
I do this every two months or so. It saves a trip to the salon, and it means that if I don’t feel like applying mascara, I don’t have to!
My favourite tools for the job are Julienne’s 45 Day Permascara Kits. They come in black, brown, light brown and blue black. You’ll find them for around R90 each at Dischem and other pharmacies.
1. Firstly, if you wear contacts, remove them before your start. Make sure that your eyes and lashes are as clean and free from oil as possible. The cleaner your lashes, the better the dye will take.
2. Protect your skin by applying a thin layer of Vaseline or rich cream around the edges of your lashes. Make sure you don’t get any in your eyes, and keep the cream or Vaseline off your lashes. This will stop the dye from staining your skin. The Julienne kits come with moon shaped paper protectors that you apply under your eyes to stop the dye hitting your cheeks. Keep them in place by using a little Vaseline as ’glue’.
3. Mix the two parts of the dye according to the instructions. There is normally a dye cream and a developer liquid, which you need to mix into a creamy consistency that doesn’t drip when lifted.
4. Use the mascara wand to apply the mixture – just the same way you would mascara. I start with my bottom lashes, and then move onto the top of my top lashes before coating the bottoms of the top lash lines. To get into the roots, use a cotton bud to push the dye right to the root shaft. Leave for the specified time.
5. Wet two cotton pads with warm water. Close your eyes, and press the pads onto the eyes. Leave for a few seconds before gently pulling the pads downwards off the eyes. Repeat this process until all the dye is removed. And that’s it – easy peasy!