Happy 2017, everyone. 2017 really sounds like a year from a sci-fi movie, but here we are, living it.
I’m not normally a formal resolutions kind of girl, but having been pregnant for the vast majority of last year and then looking after a newborn for the rest of it, I feel like this is a year for me to set some goals for myself (outside the baby realm). And putting them here, out into the world, will motivate me to stick to them more than if I’d just jotted them down in a notebook.
- This year I’d like to change things up a bit on Rouge. Granted I’ve been slack with posting since the end of August (you know, the baby), but I feel like the charm of blogging has gotten lost in a sea of products and the pressure of posting every day. Neither of these are things I’m playing into this year. I’m going to be more selective about the content I put out; I want to write more informative articles and partner with key brands. This means that I’ll be posting less, but the posts that do go up will be more helpful for you guys.
- Also, I know some of you won’t want to hear this, but I want to make Rouge more profitable this year. It has to start earning its keep. Bloggers spend a LOT of time working on their blogs, and often for very little return. Yes, we get sent products to test, but those are not gifts, they are work. We have to spend weeks testing products and then spend hours photographing them and writing posts, and all of this we, very often, do for free. I realise this may sound like a dream to some of you, but you have to remember that not all products are great and not all products suit every person (I’ve had some horrible reactions to some products), but most importantly, you simply cannot pay bills with makeup and skincare. So to think that it’s ridiculous for bloggers to make money off their blogs is ridiculous in itself.
- My next resolution is to stay off social media more. Obviously it’s a huge part of my job, but I find it’s getting more and more sucking. It sucks the joy and energy out of life for me. Yes, there’s a lot of good, but the bad is getting out of control, so I’m removing myself from it. Time spent on social media also takes away from time I could be using to work on Rouge. I read a great quote the other day: “The more time you spend on other people’s social media and websites is making them better, not you.” This resonated with me, and it’s so, so true, so I’m going to take it with me into the new year. Keeping up with trends is important, but I don’t have to interact with the rest of the bumpf.
- The next area that needs attention this year is my eating and exercise habits. Last year I took the ‘eating for two’ thing far too seriously! I’m still going to enjoy myself, but I’m going to be far more conscious about what I put into my body and I’ve already made a work out schedule. I’ll be adding a ‘wellness’ tab to the site in the next few months to record my wellness journey. I don’t have any specific goals yet, but I just want to be better than I am now. As the year progresses, I’m sure I’ll develop more targeted goals.
- I want to spend more time with people that are important to me this year (especially Angelo and Jools). It’s so easy to get caught up in daily life that months can pass and you don’t see some people. I want to be more proactive in making plans this year; and by that I mean saying yes, but also saying no to things that I don’t want to do or aren’t worth my while.
- My last resolution is two learning curves I’d like to explore this year. First is to get my license and fire up my copper still. Angelo and I have been making wine for 5 years, and as much as we love it, I’d like a new challenge. Gin and whisky are the first spirits I’d like to try. This is the year! The other is to learn more about photography. I’ve already bookmarked a few Youtube tutorials that I’m going to be following. Your camera can do SO much that most of us don’t even know about, so I’d like to delve a little deeper into f stop, aperture and lighting this year.
That’s it – I’m going to keep a bullet point version of these on my desk so that they are visible everyday as a reminder.
Let me know your resolutions in the comments box below.