How to get Kerry Washington’s sleek, chic ponytail.
This week on Glamour, I found out from hairstylist to the stars, Marc Anthony how he achieved Kerry Washington’s gorgeous ‘do at this year’s Screen Actor’s Guild awards. Follow these steps, using Marc Anthony products to get the look.
1. Wash: Wash and condition with Oil of Morocco Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner, then add Argan Oil Treatment to damp hair and brush it through from roots to ends. The Argan Oil will add moisture, smoothness and shine plus protect from heat styling damage.
2. Blow Dry: To maintain enough body in the hair, blow dry hair with a large round brush keeping tension in the hair as you dry.
3. Smooth: For extra smoothness, flat iron hair section by section. As it moves through the hair slightly twist the flat iron in a continuous motion, just enough to keep some body and curve in the hair, but not enough to create a curl. Do not over flat iron as you don’t want it to be overly smooth.
4. Ponytail: Once dry make two deep side parts (lined up with the outer edge of each brow) and separate the front section to use later. Clip it out of the way for now. Pull the rest of the hair back into a low tight ponytail, using a bristle brush to smooth the sides and secure it with an elastic.
5. Side Sweep: Brush the front section loosely it to one side, sweeping it over the forehead, tucking it behind the ear and securing it to the ponytail with another elastic. Bobby pin any bits that are not sitting right and hide the pins under the hair. Try not to make the front too sleek or tight; some fullness keeps the look soft and pretty.
6. Wrap: Once positioned the way you like it, take a section from underneath the pony (about 1 inch thickness) and wrap it around the base to hide the elastic, then pin in place. Wrapping it with a thicker section creates a nice wide base giving the pony substance to stand out.
7. Finish: Smooth any frizz and add shine with a bit of Argan Oil Treatment. Give it a final spray with Pro Finish Hairspray and viola! You are ready for day, night and anything in-between.
All of the products mentioned are R99 each and you’ll find them at Dis-Chem stores nationwide.