They multi-task, protect and last – what more could you want from your summer staples? These are my best.
- The heatproof mascara – Maybelline The Falsies Volum’ Express Waterproof Mascara, R100. Hmm. Luscious, full lashes on the beach? Really? Believe it! This super-waterproof version of The Falsies will give you gorgeous, smudge-free lashes all day long
- The humidity frizz buster – Davines More Inside Sea Salt Spray, R230. Forget your flatirons when you’re anywhere near water. Humidity, sun, sand and seawater will frizz it faster than you can say “uma cerveja por favor”. I suggest you just embrace the curls and waves – it’s a fight you will not win. I adore the new Sea Salt Spray from Davines. It defines curls, fights frizz, and, most importantly, doesn’t dry-out or damage the hair. If all else fails, wear a chic hat to cover the nest.
- The best lip protector – Blistex DCT SPF20, R90. I honestly don’t know how I would survive summer without a few pots of this. It protects and nourishes your lips like nothing else. The SPF is, of course, compulsory during summer, and it gives a great hint of colour too.
- The bronze all in one – The Body Shop Honey Bronze Brilliance Power, R199. A bronzer is the best tool for achieving a sun-kissed complexion. But what makes a perfect complexion is one that is illuminated. This honey enriched bronzer instantly illuminates the skin while the integrated brush allows for mess-free application.
- The only face protector worth using – Heliocare Advanced SPF50 Gel, R250. Since discovering this gel late last year, I haven’t looked back. The formula is non-greasy, absorbs quickly, and I haven’t found a foundation that you cannot apply over it – this being a bugbear of mine with many SPFs, as they tend to flake and peel when anything is applied over them.
- The ultimate multi-tasker – Piz Buin Wet Skin Transparent Sun Spray SPF30, R265. You’ve heard my ramblings about how much I rate this product. But here’s a bit more: it really is the best multi-tasker there is for the beach! It can be applied to wet skin, has a high SPF and UVA Star rating, hydrates the skin, doesn’t leave white streaks and it smells incredible. A 6-in-1 is hard to beat! Get some.
My other must-haves (besides the ‘goes without saying’ sunglasses) are good sandals to protect my feet from hot sand and a hat to protect my head from the harsh sun. Above are my Billabong Trucker Cap and Havaianas Freedom Sandals.