There were so many bright shining stars in my January Radar.
- Elegant Touch Express Press On Instant Manicure in French Pink, R79.95. I hadn’t tried these before, and while they were easy to use and lasted well, I dind’t find they fitted as well as the imPress ones. This could just be my nails, though. I’ve been told by so many nail technicians that my nails beds are very round – which is why most stick-on nails don’t last on my nails. These aren’t bad at all, and are worth a try, but I prefer the imPress ones.
- Vichy Liftactiv Advanced Double Correction Filler, R470. I thoroughly enjoyed this. I used it as a serum at night. I have noticed an improvement in my skin’s radiance, but as far as fine line and wrinkle reduction goes, I don’t have anything to report. To be fair, this is probably because I’ve only been using it for a month. I’m going to continue using it, so will keep you posted.
- BioNike Defence Hydra5 Radiance Illuminating Moisturising BB Cream SPF15 in Dore, R150 (exclusive to Dis-Chem). This was wonderful. It compares well to the Garnier one. It’s not as liquid, but gives a bit more coverage in return. It really does illuminate and brighten the complexion.
- Justine Tissue Oil Gold Expert Skin Repair SPF25, R420. This is no run of the mill tissue oil. The added high concentration of oil-soluble vitamin C (known to boost collagen production) as well as SPF25 takes it to a whole new level of tissue oil! And 100% worth the hefty price tag. My dog bite scar is looking ridiculously less noticeable in just one month! I’m going to try it on older scars this month.
- Heel Chemistry Heel Hydration Complex Cream, R225 (exclusive to Clicks). Well, that ‘19.5% active hydration complex’ really does ‘hydrate cracked skin while repairing the below-surface hydration to avoid the traditional hard skin cycle.’ It promised to make a big difference in two weeks, but my feet were completely transformed in just one. This, paired with the Scholl Velvet Smooth Electronic Foot File is just the world’s answer to dry feet!
- Elizabeth Arden Prevage Anti-Aging Neck and Décolleté Firm and Repair Cream, R1045. This was the find of the month (if not year already) for me. I have struggled with sleeping lines on my chest for ages, and this is the first product to make any impact on them. I’ve been applying it to my neck and décolleté twice a day for a month, and already I can see a massive difference in the depth of the lines when I wake up. They also seem to disappear quicker than they did before. Two thumbs up!
- Bourjois Volume 1 Seconde Waterproof Mascara in Black, R169.95. Argh, this was another disappointment from the French house. I have long been a huge fan of Bourjois, but this mascara really is not their finest work. The brush was great, but that was about it. The formula was no more waterproof than any regular mascara, and it executed 11am fall-out, which meant I only tested it twice. Maybe it was bad luck twice in a row, but there are plenty of other mascaras that don’t do this, so this has been shelved.