So many girls want to wear falsies, but don’t because they don’t know how to apply them. But trust me, like anything; it’s easy when you know how.
It’s a good idea to practice with an inexpensive pair. Dischem and Clicks have great ones for around R30. Otherwise, my favourite brand is Eylure, which are around R60 per box.
The tools you’ll need to apply the lashes are a good pair of tweezers (or try the QVS Eyelash Applicator set from Woolworths) and eyelash glue. Please don’t use the stuff that comes in the box. Rather get yourself a tube of Duo Adhesive, R330 (you’ll find this at MAC and INGLOT counters). This is the glue of choice of make-up artists everywhere as it sticks like crazy, but is suitable for sensitive eyes. I also love the Eylure Lashfix, R50.
- Using tweezers, gently peel the lashes off their stand.
- Test the length of the lashes against your own, and trim them to fit. (Remember that the short lashes will sit closest to your nose).
- Squeeze a dot of adhesive to the back of your hand, and holding the lashes with tweezers, run the closed band of the lashes through it. Don’t overload it, but make sure the whole band is covered. Then apply an extra small blob at each end – this is where lashes are most likely to come loose.
- Holding the lashes with tweezers in the middle near the band, but not touching the glue, face a mirror with you head tilted slightly backward. This will give you the best view of your lash line. Place the lashes onto eyelid, as close to your own lashes as possible, but not touching them. Once they are perfectly aligned, you can gently press them down onto your skin. Pay special attention to the ends.
- Work along the whole lash line, pressing the lashes onto your skin. You could use an eyeliner brush to do this if you don’t want to ruin any eye make-up you’re wearing.
- Wait 2 or 3 minutes for the glue to dry.
- Fill-in any gaps between the falsies and your natural lashes with an eyeliner or powder on a bullet shaped brush. If you’re confident enough, you could also use a liquid liner.
- For full-on volume, apply a slick of mascara from the base of your natural lashes all the way up to the end of the falsies.