Today is my birthday, and as much I have lots of family to celebrate with here, I also miss all of my family in the UK.
Nothing compares to my cousin Boostie’s curry, washed down with Magners cider, and all 13 of my mad London family around me!
But sadly I’m not there (and they’re not here), so to cheer myself up, and to feel like they’re celebrating with us, my little sister and I played around for an afternoon, and came-up with a few versions of a quintessential English make-up look.
First-up is a Camden grungy rock chic look. The messier the better is the idea behind this look. Go for full make-up and untidy hair.
Dark smudged eyes with loads of mascara are teamed with a natural lip – biker jacket optional.
– Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner in Black, R120
– Michellori Fast Liner in Black Stays On, R79.95
– Revlon CustomEyes Mascara in Black, R125
– Revlon ColorBurst Lipgloss in Rosepearl, R99.95
– Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Guest List, R69.95
– Yardley Stayfast Velvet Single Eyeshadow in Carbon Black, R52.95
The English rose look can seem very dated and old fashioned, so the key is to keep it modern with soft washes of colour on the eyes and cheeks. Tidy the brows and finish with a rosebud stain on the lips. Hair should be soft and natural.
– Almay TLC Truly Lasting Lipcolor in Truly Petal, R135
– Revlon Grow Luscious by Fabulash Mascara & Lash Enhancer in Blackest Black, R135
– Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow in Gems n Jewels, R155
– Revlon CustomEyes Shadow & Liner in Rich Temptations, R160
– Charlie Face Makeup Compact Mineral Powder in Natural Tan, R69.96
– Almay Powder Blusher in Natural, R140
WAGnificent. Think Cheryl Cole etc – big hair, big lashes and loud lips. This is full on glamour, so it will take time. Pop heated rollers in your hair before applying foundation, eyeliner, false lashes, smoky eye, bronzer, and top it all off with electric pink lipstick, topped with candy pink gloss…phew!
– Rimmel Glam’Eyes Lash Flirt Volume & Lift Mascara in Kohl Black, R94.95
– Revlon ColorStay 12 Hour Eye Shadow in Sultry Smoke, R155
– Michellori Dipping Eye Shadow in Dark Grey, R69.95
– Revlon Bronzer in Natural Bronze, R140
– Almay Intense i-Color Kohl Pencil for Brown Eyes in Midnight Black, R125
– Michellori Soft Touch Lipstick in Rose Velvet, R67.95
– Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipgloss in Lucky Charm, R69.95
Sloane Rangers originated in the 1980s London and Princess Diana was their icon. The no make-up make-up look has its roots here. Your skin needs to look flawless, so pay attention to foundation and concealer. A soft eye, a sweep of mascara, and a little blush will suffice. Keep your lips within one or two shades of your natural colour, and finish the face with powder. Pearl earrings are highly recommended.
– Almay Amazing i-Liner 16 Hour Liquid Liner in Definite Brown, R125
– Michellori Eyebrow Matic Pencil in Soft Brown, R69.95
– Yardley 3D Lash Fibre Extension Lash Building Mascara in Black, R109.95
– Yardley Stayfast Velvet Single Eyeshadow in Whipped Cream, R52.95
– Almay Intense i-Color Smoky-i Kit for Brown Eyes, R155
– Revlon PhotoReady Translucent Finisher, R185
– Rimmel Vinyl Gloss Voluptuously Shiny Lipgloss in Snog, R69.95