My thoughts on the products I tested in January…
A bit of a mixed bag again this month. Some fabulous finds, but a few that disappointed. Here’re my thoughts:
1. African Extracts Rooibos Herbal Extract Shampoo and Conditioner for all hair types. This duo was good. Nothing amazing, but I wasn’t expecting them to be. If you’re looking for a no-nonsense shampoo and conditioner, these are great.
2. Bourjois Twist Up the Volume Mascara. This one was tricky for me. The brush was great – fabulous idea to have two ‘looks’ hidden in one brush. Sadly I feel the formula lets it down. It made my lashes look like plastic tarantula legs (on both settings). It stayed put nearly the whole day, but by 4pm it started flaking, and I had to remove it. As great as the brush is, I wouldn’t buy this mascara again.
3. Nip + Fab Viper Venom Wrinkle Fix. This was sadly not as incredible as I was hoping. It dos give an instant ‘blurring’ effect that makes wrinkles less visible. But it didn’t ‘play’ very well with my other products, and tended to peel off.
4. Elizabeth Arden Prevage Anti-Aging + Intensive Repair Eye Serum. I love the texture of this new serum. It soaks-in immediately and gives the eye area an instant boost thanks to the tiny reflective particles. A month on, I can see a great improvement in the texture of the skin around my eyes. My fine lines and wrinkles are much less visible too.
5. Smashbox’s Photo Finish More Than Primer Blemish Control. Simply fabulous! I don’t really struggle with spots, but blackheads often plague me. This primer seems to have done an impressive job in decreasing their occurrence. It also kept my foundation in place all day (and night).
6. Piz Buin Wet Skin Transparent Sun Spray. The best of the lot this month! I mean, a sun protection you can apply to wet skin? That actually works? What on earth is there not to love? It also has that amazing Piz smell too! I will probably never use any other sunscreen on my body. Like, ever.
7. Heliocare Advanced SPF50 Gel. This comes in a very close second to the Piz Buin. (Sunscreens were the clear winners in January!) I can see what all the fuss was about with this! Although they call it a gel, the texture more like is a cross between a cream and a gel. It absorbs seriously quickly and doesn’t leave the skin greasy. I applied primer and foundation almost straight after without any issues. It kept my skin safe from the sun, and after the month, I have noticed that I have far fewer pigmentation marks on my face – which means that it’s protecting my skin from further pigmentation attacks.
8. Skin Republic Anti Wrinkle Collagen Hydrogel Under Eye Patches. I had to stop myself from using these everyday. Pop them on for half and hour, and you’ll have revived, brighter refreshed eyes. I promise! It made me look like I’d had an eyelift. These are great for just before a date or important event.
9. Skin Science Stimulating Facial Spritzer Toner. This was an absolute godsend on those scorching days we had in January. Spritz it on to refresh you skin and renew your energy levels.
10. Maybelline’s Dream Bouncy Blush in Plum Wine. The latest blush offering from Maybelline really is a dream. I love the texture and it delivers such a subtle, natural hint of colour, you won’t be able to tell if it’s make-up or just your natural flush.
11. Greenland Papaya Lip Balm and Body Butter. I was whisked away to Zanzibar whenever I got a whiff of either of these products. The lip balm is nourishing and hydrating. The body butter goes on very sticky, but soon absorbs and leaves the skin soft and smooth.
12. Strawberry Fanta Lip Smacker. Delicious and just so much fun for children of all ages!
13. essence Tinted Moisturizer. This is a keeper in my make-up collection. I just love everything about it – texture, coverage and staying power.
14. Perfectil. I’ve used and loved Perfectil for years now. My skin, hair and nails always look SO much better after a month on these pills. If you feel that your hair, nails or skin are looking a little lack-luster, I would highly recommend this supplement.
15. Epimax Hand Cream. Don’t you just love it when you find a cheap product that does exactly what it says I will? I know I do, and this hand cream is one of the best I’ve tried, and at R32, you really can’t go wrong!