A great mani can make you feel like a well-groomed princess, but maintaining it can be tricky. Follow my 5 tips for keeping your mani fresh for longer.
1. Before you start, remove all traces of old polish and wash your hands with soapy water. You need to have completely clean nails, as any oily residue will make your polish chip. If in doubt, you can run a cotton pad soaked in acetone nail polish remover over your nails before you paint. The first step to a long lasting mani is a good base coat. Not only will it stop your nails from staining, it also gives the polish something to adhere to. I love the Mavala Super Base Coat, R65.
2. In every painting step (base, colour and top coats), make sure you seal the free edge of your nail. This protects the vulnerable edge from damage.
3. Leaving your polish to dry may seem like a no brainier, but most girls (me included) get impatient. If you want your mani to last, wait 5 minutes between each layer and at least 15 minutes after your base coat.
4. Always, always apply a top coat. This seals in the colour layers and protects the nail. My fave is Revlon’s ColorStay Gold Standard Top Coat, R129
5. Keep your mani looking like new by applying a layer of top coat every two or three days, and applying a cuticle oil every night before bed will keep your cuticles tidy. Try the essie Apricot Cuticle Oil, R129