How many times do your mum tell you not to pick your spots?
While picking at spots isn’t a good idea, there are times when popping a spot is your only option. You know the ones – the ones that feel like a golf ball under your skin and look like Vesuvius above. Well, here’s how to be rid of it with as little damage as possible.
- Make sure your hands are clean. Very clean.
- Only attempt this on spots that have a white head. If it doesn’t have a head, don’t try and pop it – the gunk will be sitting too far under the skin for you to do anything about. Instead treat it with a spot treatment like Cettua’s Trouble Clear Patches (R42.99 for 48 patches).
- Sterilise a needle with a flame or alcohol.
- Gently push the point of the needle into the centre of the spot.
- Wrap tissue around your index fingers, and gently squeeze all the puss and sebum out. Gross, but necessary.
- Rinse the area with warm water and apply a spot treatment like Dermalogica Concealing Spot Treatment, R410.